November 23, 2009

Swim, Bike, Run = We had fun!

Unfortunately Dane cannot say that he is an Ironman...YET. He will have to settle with being a half Ironman until he gets a second chance to prove himself to everyone just how capable he is of the Ironman title. Dane had a good swim and everything was looking good until the bike course where he had two flat tires on the first of three laps followed by another two flat tires and a broken spoke on the second lap. By the time he had all the quirks worked out on his bike (about 45min of repairs) he made it to the top of the hill in record time missing the cut off by 3min. So Dane helped load all the other injured or exhausted contestants into the van who had also missed the cut off then he loaded his injured and exhausted bike into the van:) Overall we can definitely say it was an awesome ride! Danes training for this Ironman was perfect he worked so hard so I was so sad for him to not have the opportunity run through the finish line and hear the announcer say, "Dane you are an Ironman!" But to be able to even compete in this atmosphere with athletes of this caliber is amazing! Dane is hoping for a second chance and Dane knows that YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU DON'T TRY! I woke up this morning with more love and appreciation for Dane than ever. I love his attitude, I love the fact that he will never give up...never! He is an Ironman to me for that reason alone! I am so proud of him! He told me this morning he wants to finish an Ironman with Matt Hoover (Biggest looser winner season 2) who also missed the the cut off by 3min while doing Ironman in Hawaii. I would be first in line to see that race! Dane and I learned a ton from this experience and are stoked for the next big event! We have PF Chang's next, 26.2 mile run in January. We will keep you posted. Great job on your fist Ironman Babe, Someday you will hear the words"Dane Patterson you are an Ironman!" Dane will be working everyday to make sure that happens, I don't think he knows how to quit anymore:)

Here are pictures of the first two events: He completed his 2.4 mile swim and 95 miles of the bike course.
















It was an incredible sight to say the least. Thousands of spectators, hundreds of competitors not only willing but some begging for the chance to put their body through the toughest 17hour workout of their life. It was so fun to just hangout for the day & cheer everyone on. This competition means so much to people and I felt like tearing up a couple time hearing some of the contestants stories and the motivation that led them to Ironman events. Dane lifted a man into his wheelchair who had made his fourth attempt at completing an Ironman and had missed the cut off again by only 30 seconds. I also saw a paraplegic man swimming, biking, and running and later finishing as an Ironman. I have so much respect for these athletes and now I know first hand how much heart and dedication truly goes into preparing yourself to be an Ironman, and what that title really means.

Thanks again to all of you who have supported us! It means so much to Dane and I & we couldn't do it without you!

6 comments:

Pat said...

Great job Dane. It's tough to DNF due to mechanics. I'm amazed at all those that attempt an Ironman, regardless of time or finishing.

Good luck with Rock'N'Roll AZ. I'm doing that marathon and the Tucson Marathon in December. Heck, you should do Tucson. It's all downhill after mile 8.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”
John "The Penguin" Bingham

The Brosemann Clan said...

that is absolutley amazing. So proud of him and ALL that he has accomplished. He will def be an IRONMAN next time. so inspiring. way to go Dane

Shane and Brandi said...

Way to go Dane! Next time you will here them announce it.

Brandi said...

Go Dane!! I'm proud of you!! I can't even imagine attempting anything like that!! Way to go!!

Tawni said...

It was a very awesome day, just wish Dane didn't have such bad luck with the bike.
I emailed you and Dane all the pictures and collages. A couple from Dane's email said they didn't send, but you should have them all in your email. Let me know if you didn't get them.