There lives a man on Stapley and Main. Is he homeless? Is he insane? He dances around all day long throwing out wierd symbols with his hands that mean what? It would appear as though this man is a wako, a lunitic, the kind of person you never want to see in an alley. But I found out who this man really is and I found out he is actually a very nice guy!
Today I made a new friend. He is a local legened, a man well known to those native to Mesa. My whole life I've known him as the crazy Homless man we call Dizzy. Today for the first time I was able to have Dizzy answere all my life long questions I've had about him. Like What are you doing, What is your name, what is your message and did you really get hit by a bus and now have millions of dollars?
I am so proud to live in Mesa! I'm a native, born and raised right here in the east valley and I have so many stories, memories, and people that have made impressions on me that will last a lifetime. Dizzy is one of those people. C'mon where else will you find a place that has a famous homeless man who's reputation has earned him celebrity rights? The day met him I jumped out of my car ran right over to him and started asking him all sorts of questions. I'm sure he was thinking to himself,"who is this crazy girl"?!
Dizzy's real name is Robert. Robert was born in Conneticut and raised in New York. He joined the US Army and now is fighting for God's army wearing the armor of God.
The New Testiment is his sword and he protected by his shield of faith. He told me that he is a diciple of God and He has been saved by the grace of God. He has an attitude of grattitude and has found much joy in worshiping the Lord. He dosen't belong to any particular church but knows he is Christian. He worships the Lord by symbolic dancing along main street. His message is simple, Jesus loves us and the more we seek God the more we will find God. His favorite scripture is 2nd Corinthians 5:13
"For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober it is for your cause."
I found Robert to be a little extreme, but also an great example for me. He has dedicated many years of his life to the lord. He spends much of his day worshiping the lord out in the 120 degree weather. He may seem crazy but I think he will be blessed for his efforts. God understands our hearts and Dizzy's heart is in the right place. He told me, a stranger, that he is my big brother and that he loves me. he was thrilled to find out that I was religious and that I loved God. He said that he plants the seed of knowledge in those who listen to him and God waters that seed and their spirits grow. I wanted to meet the crazy,homless man Dizzy, but I met Robert, a missionary of God who has found happiness in the simple fact that Jesus loves us!
August 11, 2008
My Big Brother Dizzy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
You are a brave woman to approach an eccentric homeless man on the street and strike up a conversation! I'm glad he didn't attack you and that it worked out. I'm often surprised at the dedication of people that are seemingly crazy. If the rest of us could only be that strong in our convictions...
Good for you , Carli! I think so many people are afraid of him, but I'm sure he is a gentle giant. At the grocery store on Sat. I saw two homeless people pushing carts, one with an umbrella... and a small girl, 18mos maybe? I had to go back and offer one of the popsicles I just bought for the tiny girl. I should have given more..
That is the best thing ever. The legend of Dizzy, dates back to my childhood. Way to go and take the time to go and talk with him. And some interesting info about him. Glad to know he is religious and not just trippin'. :) Dizzy is definatly part of Downtown Mesa. That is for sure.
LOVE DIZZY! If someone was to come to Mesa for the first time, and I was to take them to see the sites of Mesa, I would surely take them to see DIzzy. He is a great part of this town. I'm glad you went to him and found out the facts...I never doubted he was a good guy!
I loved the pictures of you trying to immitate his signs. haha.
I have always dug this guy Dizzy...we have followed him around and enjoyed him FOR YEARS!!! YOU ARE SO AWESOME THAT YOU DID THIS...WAY TO GO!
VERY COOL!!!
Carli I love this! I love Dizzy Robert too. Thank you for finding out the answers that we had. So is he really a millionaire?
Carli thank you for finding out the answers from Dizzy Robert. I have always been curious. I think he is awesome! So is he really a millionaire? Did you clear up that rumor?
wow. you're brave. I'm sorry to say that I dont think I could ever just go up to some random person(i'm always so paranoid and terrified) But Thats so awesome that you did, and so awesome that he loves the lord.. you go girl. I'm glad youmade a new "friend"
Dizzy is Rich in wisdom, not in wealth. So he is not a million dollar man.
I LOVE those pics...Carli you are AWESOME! I would not have been so brave. Thanks for sharing with us his real story, cause I like you only heard the many stories of who everyone thought he was. You are too cute!
Wow you are brave! Like everybody else, I have always been curious about the legend that is Dizzy... thank you so much for sharing!
Wow, that is awesome!! We all know who he is, but I never knew what he was about or why he does what he does. You are awesome to do that! I now think of him very differently!!
Cute pics by the way.lol
I am so jealous!!! Dizzy is like my favorite. I always look for him when driving on Main Street. I've always wanted to talk to him!! Hmmm hopefully I will one of these days.
You know when Mesa loses this icon of a man we will lose a lot of happiness and joy that he has brought to us for years....can you imagine the size of his funeral service...I'm sure it will be overwhelming and he will probably never know the impact he has had on so many...Again Carli U DA BOMB BABY!!! I wish I could say I had done that...I just didn't think...and now I'm sad thinking opportunities have passed to stop and take a minute to become a friend to another and believe me I am not above this at all you can ask my kids I have always stopped and talked to the homeless...but you have re-opened my eyes and let me know that it's not too late to befriend Dizzy...you ARE SO GREAT to have done this...thanks for the reminder that to have friends you have to be one ☺
Carli- There's no one like you either! No way I would have ever had the guts to find out all that about a total stranger who dances on the street. Thanks for being who you are too! love ya girlfriend!
I remember one day Casey saying that she wanted Dizzy to come and do a magic show at her birthday, maybe now that she has an in you could pull some strings?
It always warms my heart when I see Dizzy preachin' on the corners, or on his bike. These pictures are darling! What gave you this idea? You look like you were a prepared gal w/ that folder and all.
You could start a new column: interviews w/ Mesa Legends :) You ROCK!
you are so awesome carli to be brave enough to go talk to dizzy. i heard this story a while back from a friend who used to work at the payless on the corner there. people are amazing if we just stop and listen
the pic of Dane and the boys on top is precious. its a good pic of all of them.
I read this last week but didn't have time to comment. You should be on the news! What a neat story. I admire your bravery, and interest, and insight. B said you are such a good writer too. Thanks for sharing that sweet story. ALSO, what handsome men you have. I didn't think any pic could top the black and white one of you and Cotter, but I may have been wrong. Good job. Love your blog. I would never see your kids grow up without it! They change so much. Thanks.
Love the new header!
very insightful into the life o' diz. i loved it! what an awesome guy! i love people who find their mission/passion & do it no matter what. it inspires me. dizzy, you're my hero.
Hi Carli...
Well all I have to say ...it's nice to know that someone out there cares i always knew about "Dizzy" and would wave to him on the steet and laugh at how silly he looked but never really thought about who he actually was! ...It was nice tp know his real name and that he is a really nice guy! thanks...also have you ever thought about journalism I like the way you write! It felt like i was reading something out of column ~~~;0)
-Ana
Post a Comment