February 4, 2009

The Suckathon




Dane and I ran a marathon on Saturday...and it sucked! Really really bad! I'm glad that it is over and we are recovering. I can't remember a time that I have felt more pain in my feet then that last 5 miles of the race. I kept thinking to myself, people are crazy, this hurts and I am never doing it again! Well...I just found a marathon in April and I plan to run it! I guess I got over that quickly. I said the same thing while I was in my 35th hour of labor with Cotter and well we all know what happened 17 months later. At the end of the day I guess I have the ability to remember the reasons I ran it in the first place. It was an experience worth the pain. It was amazing to run that marathon side by side with Dane. I am so stinkin proud of him, never in my life did I think we would experience this together. He recovered faster than I did and he is even crazy enough to want to run the April marathon with me. He is in fantastic shape and I think he loves to show those who may doubt him, just how crazy in shape for a big guy he actually is. He has gotten back into his workout routine and hasn't even missed a beat! It was also fun to run this marathon with Benson and Tawni. My brother Benson leaves on his mission to Portugal February 18th so this was our last hoorah before we send him off. Tawni, Dane and I started running together a couple months ago and it will be fun to make this an annual thing together. Hopefully it gets easier, and next time I wont be shoving all those energy bars Dane said I needed into my bra. I was a very uncomfortable 32DD. Biggest loser sent a camera crew down to film the race. It was nice feeling like a celebrity for a little while to...even if I wasn't the reason the cameras were on me. Dane has gotten used to having cameras on him 24 hours of the day and not caring but I couldn't help but feel very aware of the fact I was wearing spandex the whole time they were around! Suck it in baby! The best part of the race had to be the finish line and all our family in their biggest loser shirts cheering us on. Cotter ran the last 20 feet of the race with us and as I crossed that finish line and saw all our family there to support us I felt so blessed! We have the best family in the world!

21 comments:

Tawni said...

Seriously, I keep thinking I am crazy, but I want to do it again! More than anything I want to do it when I know I am ready. I think that will make a huge difference! I think I recovered fairly quickly too. After Saturday I couldn't feel my blisters anymore and sunday I wanted to die with how much pain my legs were in, but Monday I felt soo much better!
I am still taking this week off, but next week, it's back to work!
So next January, huh?
I don't know about April...

Anonymous said...

uh- i'm so impressed by ALL of you! i don't think i could ever run that far! congrats on finishing!!!

Kelly M said...

You guys are awesome! Running a marathon is absolutely amazing. . . and with camera crews?? You're a brave woman Carli! :) Good for you guys!

Heather said...

You did it! I think that you guys are so brave for even attempting such a feat, much less succeeding at it! You guys must feel so great.

Tanya Leigh said...

That is AMAZING!! Running a marathon is definitely on my list. You seriously trained for only 2 months for it? Sweet.

Case said...

YOU ARE AMAZING! I can't say it enough.

Anonymous said...

Carli,
I was so glad that we got there in time to see you guys in your big finish! I was seriously on the verge of tears!! I was so proud to be your guy's friends. We sure love you and you guys are SO AWESOME for running the marathon!
I do think you are crazy though- again in April??? :)

Sassy said...

What a very proud moment and so glad they filmed it...for ALL the doubter's out there....they are just different kind of losers! I can't even imagine the pain you felt...I know how I felt after I did the cancer walk...WHAT A SERIOUSLY TERRIFIC MOMENT and I ♥ the shirts!!!! I am so excited for Benson...he will be a great missionary.

Brandi said...

You guys did so awesome!! I was so glad to be there to experience it! I am so happy that you are both able to do things that you never thought you would! You are all inspiring for me! I need to get home & get on the ball!! :0)

Stacy said...

You amaze me. I would never run a marathon. Doesn't even tempt me. Way to go guys.

stephanie said...

you guys are AWESOME..good job on the marathon!! i love the picture of dane helping you with your foot/ankle..very cute!

grandpa rick said...

this is sean martin's dad. we are hooked on "biggest loser". everytime i work out at the gym i can hear jillian screaming at me...."oh, your back hurts....bummer...know what else is going to hurt....EVERYTHING!!!!" good luck.

Robin said...

I didn't know you ran a marathon until I just read this post. Where have I been? That is awesome.. good for you. I really would have been uncomfortable with cameras following me, but you are beautiful so its more likely that they were following you and not Dane! Way to go. Which one are you running in April?

Jamie said...

Come clean on the marathon, please. A marathon is a 26.2 mile run. No driving allowed.

Laura said...

I'm with James. If I could stop at the 23 mile mark of the marathons I've run, they would be SO much easier. Please don't say that you ran a marathon, even if you intended to do so and circumstances got in the way.

That said, I do wish you the best of luck in April! Which marathon are you doing?

fatmanrunning said...

What was the time again? How come it is not posted on ARR Desert Classic race results? I am 260lbs and I am training for the ING NYC marathon and I want to use your time as my goal. Thanks Danny.

Pat said...

Your Desert Classic Marathon may be the most talked about race today. I blogged about it. It's mentioned on Runner's World Online.

Loved watching BL, but now I just don't know if any of it is believable. Don't let the producers use you. Tell your story openly. This is your 15 minutes of fame, don't let it be a negative.

I ran the London's Run in Queen Creek the same day. It was a half. Hope to see you at the races.

Good luck,
pat

Ryan said...

Don't listen to the naysayers Carli and Dane, some people have self-esteem issues that preclude them from just appreciating the accomplishments of others without having to point out that their marathon was a couple miles longer. I've run a couple marathons and know how some runners can be (the type of people who insist on correcting others by pointing out that it is actually 26 POINT TWO miles).. they're lame - you did great!

Kim said...

No Ryan...a marathon IS 26.2 miles PERIOD! It's a set distance.

If it would have been stated by Dane, Carli and NBC as a 23 mile run-THEN it would have been fine. But to say you COMPLETED a marathon...you did NOT. And I have FINE self-esteem...thank you.

It's like saying, "yes, I have a college degree". But you never finished your last three hours to actually get it or faking a transfer to get it.

For those that don't know...those last three miles (ONLY 3 miles) are the hardest of the race.

Best of luck to you. Be true to America-but above all...to yourself.

Chris said...

Wow, it is incredible how quickly this story has been making its way around the interwebs.

I am a huge BL fan and I love running. But Kim is right. 23 miles isn't a marathon. Why not just run the half? That still would have been an amazing feat.

Jess said...

I loved the Black team on the BL but hearing about this whole marathon thing really upset me. I like to think it was more the producers than you guys and if that's the case I'm sorry if you're getting a lot of flack for it.

If I had been able to run three less miles maybe I would have been able to walk normal a few days earlier. Marathons are tough and it's not fair to say you ran one unless you did the whole thing.

I think it's great you're going for another one in April! Best of luck to both of you with training and on race day!