July 2, 2008

The Prison I Want My Kids to Remember

Some of you know about my kids and their favorite hobbies. Some hobbies I love and some I would rather eat crap than deal with. I finally did the one thing that I hope will teach my kids a lesson or two about what normal kids do for fun. My kids love to destroy their room. Not a few toys on the floor, but EVERY toy on the floor. I really tried to teach them the importance of taking care of their things and keeping their room clean, but I don't think that they were paying attention very well.
Soooo...I got rid of EVERYTHING! No clothes, toys, bedding, nothing. They are sitting in their prison room right now in their underwear stareing at the walls. The Ice breaker was when I went into their room and they were ripping apart one of their new books, cover and all! Ahhhhhh! "I love you, but why?!" I have been threatening to take away their toys for months and months now, never really wanting to because of all the work that it would bring for me. Today I don't care! I feel bad for them, but I have actually done it. Now everytime I threaten to take all their things away they will actually believe me. Good luck Cotter and Quinci the next three days will not be fun!

17 comments:

coltin-n-connersmommy said...

what did you finally do??? the concert was amazing. check out my blog.

Case said...

haha! I have seen first hand what those children can do so I am happy for you to be able to teach them this valuable lesson. How can they be sooooooooo sweet, yet, so mischevious at the same time?!! haha. Hope it works

Tannis said...

Haha Court told me about this tonight. SO FUNNY! I hope they learn their lesson.
Oh on Sunday when Courtney and I were playing with them, Cotter was being so funny! He is an entertaining kid! Love him!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had to take away all of Andrew's books the other day, and he cried like I had broken his little heart. At least now when I tell him it's time to take a nap, he actually lays down and leaves the books alone! I hope Cotter and Quinci learn their lesson. --Katherine

April and Cameron said...

that is such a good lesson! good for you! and very creative.

Sassy said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!! I know I can't even say how many times I threatened and never followed through...YOU ARE A MUCH BETTER MOMMY and now they'll know YOU MEAN BUSINESS...MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY KIDS...teeheehee

Lisa said...

I love to see a Mom who isn't afraid to teach hard lessons.
Those are the kids that turn out responsible in life.

Good for you.

Carlie said...

good job. I NEED to do that. Coltin's room is alawyas destroyed. I usually just take away the toys that are laying around the house and room. I bet your kids have definatley learned their lesson. I cant believe that they do ALL their toys and what not. Thats insane.

Cindy Spratling said...

You are officially the COOLEST mom I know. Seriously! First of all... most of us mom's are too lazy to actually follow through with things, but you are awesome to do it. Second of all... it's just hilarious!!!!!!!

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Good for you, Girl!!

Shelbi Whittaker said...

Carlie, that is so funny!! I am laughing so hard!! That is what I need to do! Nellie's room is ALWAYS a mess!!! Good thinking!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Dane and Carli, I know exactly what you guys are going through..now you understand why I had to do this with Jace. Only yours are quite the pair, they have each other to DOUBLE the fun! :) Im so sorry, it is frustrating...I KNOW...but the consistency WILL pay off. I learned A LOT with Jace and that was where I went wrong all those years, I was not consistent. And she played off of David and I not sticking with each other, in how things were handled. Stick together, and stay consistent. They WILL learn. Even if it is the hard way.

You guys, that picture of them on their beds is freaking hilarious...a bunch of emotions for me...laughter, then I start to feel bad for them, then I think...GO DANE AND CARLI!

Good luck! The two of you AND Cotter and Quinci! :)

Kim said...

Oh my! That is so funny! I am glad that so far my kids haven't not gotten me to that point. You will have to do an update in about a month and let us know how they are with their stuff.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great idean if they are being destructive. I had an idea. When you reintroduce stuff, you might want to do it gradually as a rewards for taking care of what you have already put back. Who am I to be the world's voice of reason. Just a thought though.
-Jon-

Sandy said...

Wow Carli..You are amazing. I ask myself everyday "How in the world do I get my kids to clean up after themselves and take care of their toys." Well, you've just showed me a way I haven't thought of. ;)

Sara Schletter said...

Wow that is definatly a Patterson thing. I remember Dendi doing the same thing to her children. Is that something your mom taught you all. I think I will use that on my children.

Jared said...

"You can take my toys and clothes, but you can never take my FREEDOMMMMM!!!!!"
-- William Wallace