July 12, 2008

Ghetto Wash

My husband comes from a long line of riggers. His Grandpa built a spaceship out of iron scraps, his Dad could fix anything without spending a dime as long as he had enough tie wire and duct tape, and Dane has been able to go into the garage return in about three seconds ready to fix anything I need him to. Although this trait seems to be so wonderful it has it's ups and downs. For the last year I have had scrappiest dishwasher known to man. It even got nick-named "THE GHETTO DISHWASHER". It all started when we moved into the house and my kids threw away the utensil holder (rig job number one)but Dane rigged up something that worked just fine. Then the door broke (rig job number two). This was the worst! Dane wasn't home when this blessed event took place, so I panicked then I thought to myself, "what would the Patterson Men do?" Then I ran as fast as I could to the garage in pursuit of the duct tape, but when a dishwasher is spraying water all over your kitchen duct tape doesn't hold it shut so well. That's when Dane started using the Clamp. It has worked perfectly while being the biggest eye sore at the same time. Today however has been a day that will live in infamy for our family! The dishwasher blew up and Dad can't fix it! I loaded the dishwasher, started it up and black,smelly smoke filled our kitchen. I tried to shut it off but it wouldn't stop working!(rig job number three)After the door broke the handle fell off so Dane of course rigged the dishwasher so that we could still turn it on. (We are so white trash).Anyways we finally fixed the problem. Welcome Maytag dishwasher to your new home. We promise that we will use you to the fullest,and even when you areyou are dying we won't let you forget your purpose in life. We went to home depot today and got an amazing deal on this dishwasher plus an extra 10% percent off, and another $30 off for a scratch I couldn't even see! R.I.P Ghetto dishwasher!
Little clamp let me brief you on your next assignment:

9 comments:

stephanie said...

congrats on the new dishwasher!!! and love the prison room, i have gotta try that one....

Sassy said...

I am so HAPPY for you!!!! I know first hand how duct tape fixes EVERYTHING...I'm married to Phil Skinner remember? Everything is fixed and rigged up with it and if it doesn't work, well...we just haven't used enough of it!!!! Yea...I'm glad you have a brand new one...enjoy it!

Sandy said...

Wow, I wish we lived closer to you. We have a few rig jobs in our home that Dane could help us out with or maybe we just need to go and buy ourselves The Clamp! ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new dishwasher! We got a new one at our house so we could sell it; that's not as much fun when you don't get to use it for its full lifespan. The new dishwasher looks so spiffy and white! --Katherine

Stephanie said...

You crack me up, I love the Ghetto wash! Congrats on the new one, nothing like a new (hopefully silent) dishwasher!

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

We got a new dishwasher after being in this house for a year or two ! Was SOOO glad to get a new one, I think it had been original to the house... 30 some years, so it was about time! Congrats!

Heather said...

So funny! I think that Dean and Dane are mdae out of the same mold. We have many a thing that has been rigged someway or another. Yeah for the new dishwashwer though. I also LOVE LOVE your prison room. I was cracking up at the picture with their underwear. I might have to try this someday.

Tawni said...

that is soo funny!! I remember the ghetto dishwasher!!
I was over there one day and I think one of my kids climbed up on the stool in front of it and started getting into stuff on top of the counter, so I got them down and moved the stool....
The dishwasher door came down soo fast, it scared the crap out of me!!
Here comes Carli, oh, we keep that there to keep the dishwasher door closed...LOL
I have to say that I am very happy for you to have a new one, i'm sure there is nothing like it!!

The Brosemann Clan said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That is too funny. we do the same thing. seriously. love the new one though. love the new smile carli. they totlly worked and you look great.